Mavic has a new Crossmax XL Wheel-Tire System. The Crossmax XL WTS is built to be versatile, comfortable, and durable for all-day adventure rides, without performance compromises on either the climbs or the descents. Learn more details from Mavic inside.
Crossmax XL WTS is made for enduro adventure riders, with a wider profile, light weight, and the new Crossmax Quest tire
Haverhill, MA — May 19, 2014 — Mavic is pleased to introduce a new Wheel-Tyre System for mountain bike, the Crossmax XL WTS. Mavic has recognized that while pure enduro racing is the choice for many riders, many other riders participate in a different, more free and adventurous style of enduro. This enduro style is not confined to the race course, and the Crossmax XL WTS is positioned for these riders: it’s built to be versatile, comfortable, and durable, for all-day adventure rides, without performance compromises on either the climbs or the descents.
Most significantly, the Crossmax XL WTS introduces a new rim extrusion with a “V-like” rim shape, optimized extrusion, and revised bead hook geometry. This new design allows for a wider, 23mm internal profile with no weight increase, as well as better impact resistance. The bead hooks have slightly reduced height and protrude slightly less than on previous shapes, and the side wall under the bead is slightly thicker, lending 50% better impact resistance (according to lab tests). Finally, Mavic’s proven materials and technologies, like FORE drilling, Zicral spokes, and ISM machining for rim weight reduction, are incorporated into the design to ensure a stiff, low inertia, and highly responsive wheel system.
To complete the Wheel-Tyre System, the new Crossmax Quest tyres are built for enduro adventure riding, with a versatile design for excellent braking, cornering, and climbing traction. Smaller, more numerous tread blocks are evenly spread in a round profile for predictable grip and a continuous center pattern for rolling efficiency. The 50a Contact Compound (CC) rubber brings grip and durability in either dry or wet conditions. Larger, 2.4” volume adds comfort and compliance, and the 66TPI Guard + reinforced casing adds durability.
The Crossmax XL WTS is available in all three sizes (26”, 27.5”, and 29”). The hub system accommodates all axle fitments, including 9mm quick release, 15QR, and 20mm through axle in the front, and 9×135, 12×135, and 12x142mm in the rear, thanks to Mavic’s ITS-4 freehub system.
Crossmax XL Wheel-Tyre System
- 24 round, straight pull Zicral spokes, laced 2-cross in the front and Isopulse in the rear (radial drive/2-cross non drive).
- Wide, 23mm UST rim adds tire volume and stability
- New rim extrusion shape for light weight and added durability
- ISM machining reduces weight and improves responsiveness
- FORE drilling adds strength, stiffness, and enables airtight UST rim bed
- 26”: 3150g (WTS); 1660g pair, 790g front, 870g rear
- 27.5”: 3390g (WTS); 1710g pair, 815g front, 895g rear
- 29”:3520g (WTS); 1780g pair; 850g front, 930g rear
Crossmax Quest Tyre
- Single compound 50a Contact Compound (CC), grip and durability for all conditions
- Wide knob spacing for traction and predictability
- Large 2.4” volume for comfort and confidence
- 66TPI Guard + reinforced single ply casing
- UST Tubeless ready
Weights per tire:
- 26” x 2.4”: 690g
- 27.5” x 2.4”: 780g
- 29” x 2.35”: 810g
Availability in the USA of the Crossmax XL Wheel-Tire System is planned for June, with an MSRP of $1000. Available at the same time, replacement Crossmax Quest 2.4 tires will retail for $70.