Quantcast Strong & Light wheelset? - Sick Lines Forums

Old 12-10-2007, 03:03 AM
cobrakillerta

Strong & Light wheelset?
So I pretty much have the entire build for my new rig all down, the only thing I'm still stuck on is my wheelset.

Most of my riding will be at Diablo Free Ride park, Platekill and some urban stuff (stair gaps, etc). I'd like a wheelset that can take a bunch of abuse but still be on the lighter side and not unecessarily heavy. I'd say that I'm pretty smooth and not a hack who just smashes into everything.

I pretty much have my hub choice narrowed down to either Chris King or Hadley. Chris King's would be awesome in Mango or Pewter on an ALL black bike, Mmmmmm badass.
Strength wise how do the two compare?
Are Hadley's as annoying sounding as CK's can be? Is there any way to quiet down CK's?

I'd like to go with Mavic rims because I'm pretty partial to them and have always had great luck with Mavic. A few years ago I had a SC Bullit and was running Mavic 321's (now called 729's, correct?). I do have access to the older 321's for a damn good price, but how do they compare to the newer options from Mavic?

32 or 36 hole?
I figure 36 as it'll be just that much stronger and not a significant weight increase. Any reason not to go 36?

Whatever I decide on will be laced up with DT Swiss Champion straight gauge spokes and pro-lock nipples.

The wheelset with be going on an Uzzi VPX (possibly a Socom) w/ an
'08 888 RC3 and a strong but weight conscious build.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:40 AM
Administrator

How heavy are you? I'd probably go with a Mavic 721 rim (21mm inner diameter), or a 729 (29mm inner diameter).

The OLD mavic 321 is actually the current 729.

You can't go wrong with King's or hadleys really. Hope is another optiion to throw out there. The PRO II's are solid, lightweight, and pretty cheap. The downfall is that they've only got 24pt of engagement where the King/Hadley's have 72pts (they engage/activate quicker).

You'd be able to find a 32 spoke rim a bit easier and i think that is plenty strong for most people. I've been running 32 for awhile and am happy. Get a good wheelbuilder and you should be good.

Strength wise i'd give the edge to King. They're a little bit lighter as well. Hadley's are real easy to service by yourself though.

Hadley's do have a tick to them and are pretty close in annoyance I feel given both are new(fresh grease) or broken in. The King's you can quiet down by repacing the hubs with some more grease but that increases the drag in them.

Hope's drown out these two in my experience in the noise level.

Hopefully that helps you out!
Old 12-15-2007, 01:34 PM
poisonfrog

Hadley actually claims 108 points not 72.

Still the Kings engage like nothing else i have ever ridden and the bling factor is way up there. my Green match my doberman almost perfectly.

had my king for 3 years and never had a problem or a slip with it.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by poisonfrog View Post
Hadley actually claims 108 points not 72.

Still the Kings engage like nothing else i have ever ridden and the bling factor is way up there. my Green match my doberman almost perfectly.

had my king for 3 years and never had a problem or a slip with it.
Hadley no longer makes 108pt hubs, the titanium and small parts in there are too expensive. They are 72pt hubs now. Give em a call if you want to find out more.

Kings are good I like them. I9's have more engagement and have their benefits as well.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:34 PM
cobrakillerta

Originally Posted by jvnixon View Post
Hadley no longer makes 108pt hubs, the titanium and small parts in there are too expensive. They are 72pt hubs now. Give em a call if you want to find out more.

Anyone have Hadley's number?
I really can't find ANYTHING online for them
Old 12-15-2007, 03:26 PM
Administrator

If you click on tech, there's a manufactureres contact info thing we created. Hadley and others are all in there.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:48 AM
cobrakillerta

Ok, well I think I may have it narrowed down...

My original idea was CK hubs in 'Mango' color (http://www.chrisking.com/hubs/20mm_i...range_20mm.jpg) laced with black spokes & nipples to black Mavic 721's. This should make for a super nice, weight concious and solid wheelset. The all black w/ Mango colored hubs should look killer and give the all black bike a very badass MX look to it.

Which spokes should I go with from DT?
I was originally going to go with straight gauge DT Champion's.
Would I lose a noticeable amount of strength going to a double butted DT spoke? How much total weight savings would they give? Is it worth that weight savings?

Also, has anyone tried Transition Revolution rims?
Another option I was thinking of was black Hadleys hubs, black spokes & nipples laced to Red Transition Revolution rims. This set-up could also look killer if I decide to go with an '08 888 (Black bike, red rims and white fork)
Red rims could look sick! (http://www.transitionbikes.com/2007/...RedWheels1.jpg)

Anyone know of a spoke calculator that is online or that I can download which lets you pic out the exact hub & rim and calculates the spoke length for you?

Last edited by cobrakillerta; 12-16-2007 at 01:20 AM..
Old 12-16-2007, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by cobrakillerta View Post
Ok, well I think I may have it narrowed down...

My original idea was CK hubs in 'Mango' color (http://www.chrisking.com/hubs/20mm_i...range_20mm.jpg) laced with black spokes & nipples to black Mavic 721's. This should make for a super nice, weight concious and solid wheelset. The all black w/ Mango colored hubs should look killer and give the all black bike a very badass MX look to it.

Which spokes should I go with from DT?
I was originally going to go with straight gauge DT Champion's.
Would I lose a noticeable amount of strength going to a double butted DT spoke? How much total weight savings would they give? Is it worth that weight savings?

Also, has anyone tried Transition Revolution rims?
Another option I was thinking of was black Hadleys hubs, black spokes & nipples laced to Red Transition Revolution rims. This set-up could also look killer if I decide to go with an '08 888 (Black bike, red rims and white fork)
Red rims could look sick! (http://www.transitionbikes.com/2007/...RedWheels1.jpg)

Anyone know of a spoke calculator that is online or that I can download which lets you pic out the exact hub & rim and calculates the spoke length for you?
Revolution rims are nice, but a bit heavier than a lot of other rims (721 etc).

Dt swiss has a spoke calc on their site.

If color is your main concern, your options are limited via stock. if you call Chad at redbarnbicycles, he can do some custom colors for you and build up a sick set of wheels for a killer price.

Jason
Old 12-16-2007, 05:54 PM
cobrakillerta

Originally Posted by jvnixon View Post
If color is your main concern, your options are limited via stock. if you call Chad at redbarnbicycles, he can do some custom colors for you and build up a sick set of wheels for a killer price.

Jason
I have dealt with Chad before...he's awesome
He could do colored rims? Have them powdercoated or soemthing
Old 12-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by cobrakillerta View Post
I have dealt with Chad before...he's awesome
He could do colored rims? Have them powdercoated or soemthing
Yep, he's got a local guy that can do them for you.