Shimano has launched a new 12-Speed Deore XT groupset – M8100. Available June 14th, 2019. Check out the details inside from Shimano.
SHIMANO DEORE XT M8100 Debuts with Shimano’s marquee mountain bike component technologies and trail-specific focus Component group’s rollout, along with new SLX M7100 components marks company’s first coordinated global start sale date.
OSAKA, Japan (May 31, 2019) – Employing the latest technologies and performance from Shimano’s flagship XTR M9100 mountain bike components, the new Shimano DEORE XT M8100 series features Shimano’s 12-speed versatility while offering superior shifting and braking systems specifically tuned for trail riders. New Shimano DEORE XT delivers unrivaled component customization and Shimano’s widest range 1×12 gear options with its 12-speed 10-51T cassette. Where new XTR M9100 is for racing, DEORE XT M8100 is definitively trail focused, from wide rims to trail-tuned brakes and gearing options with ergonomics that prioritize comfort and control. Shimano DEORE XT M8100 is available on complete bikes and at bicycle retailers beginning June 14th, 2019. Shimano DEORE XT M8100 delivers the technologies first introduced with XTR M9100, while enhancing the key features and reliability from previous generation SHIMANO DEORE XT. The examples of these refinements include:
• Refined SERVO-WAVE brake levers match up with next generation I-SPEC EV RAPIDFIRE PLUS shifters featuring INSTANT RELEASE, 2-WAY RELEASE,
AND MULTI-RELEASE giving the rider more control and confidence.
• The CN-M8100 chain’s extended inner link plate is a key component of incredibly smooth HYPERGLIDE+ shifting and improved chain retention of Shimano’s
DYNAMIC CHAIN ENGAGMENT (DCE+) single front chain rings.
• The new construction of the low-profile RD-M8100 SHADOW RD+ rear derailleur improves shift quality, range of adjustment and chain retention while allowing for a wide range of gearing options.
Delivering unparalleled drivetrain options for riders, DEORE XT offers a range of gearing choices including wide range and rhythm step cassettes with single and double front chainrings. Each setup delivers the best mountain bike shifting available in an incredibly robust and reliable package that allows riders to focus on the trail for years of worry-free
Inheriting revolutionary HYPERGLIDE+ technology first found on XTR M9100, the DEORE XT M8100 group uses completely redesigned chain plates and shift ramps which guide the chain both up and down the cassette providing faster, smoother shifting in both directions even under incredible pedaling power.
Adding to DEORE XT’s M8100 smooth drivetrain transmission, the new CN-M8100 HG chain features SHIMANO’s DYNAMIC CHAIN ENGAGEMENT (DCE+) technology. An extended inner link plate of the chain connects seamlessly with new chainring tooth shapes for better chain retention and smoother, quieter pedaling. The new design reduces natural vibrations normally caused by the inner and outer chain plates rolling onto the chainring while also providing stronger contact between the two components.
M8100 HOLLOWTECH II crank construction offers a lighter and stiffer crank design with options for both front single and double chainrings in three Q-factor options, including a Super Boost option (172mm, 178mm, 181mm). Chainrings are easily exchanged with the new direct-mount system and the cranks can be swapped between single and double front chainring setups.
All Shimano 12-speed direct mount chainrings are interchangeable. Additionally, Shimano refined chain line specifications for DEORE XT M8100 including a 55mm chain line, ensuring that the drivetrain is optimized for a greater variety of frame designs.
Enhancing ride performance and expanding gearing range, DEORE XT M8100 cassettes feature SHIMANO’s MICRO SPLINE freehub technology that works seamlessly, allowing the use of 10-tooth cogs. The new design with its smaller splines also allows for an aluminum freehub body construction that isn’t damaged or gouged out by the cogs during use.
The new cassettes employ SHIMANO’s Beam Spider construction for weight reduction and improved power transfer utilizing a strategic application of aluminum and steel for an optimal blend of weight savings, rigidity, and durability.
CS-M8100-12 – Wide Range and Rhythm Step Cassettes
– Wide Range Cassette – 10-51T
o Designed for single front chainring setup
o 510% gear ratio with smart gear steps to extend the range
– Rhythm Step Cassette – 10-45T
o Designed for double or single front chainring setup
o 450% gear ratio with ideal gear steps
HB-M8110/-B and FH-M8110/-B Hubs
– Lightweight aluminum FREEHUB body and driver plates
– O.L.D. – 100 mm (HB-M8110), 110 mm (HB-M8110-B)
– O.L.D. – 142 mm (FH-M8110), 148 mm (FH-M8110-B), 157mm (FH-M8130-B) HB-M8110-BS and FH-M8110-BS – Straight pull DEORE XT Hubs
– 3-cross spoke pattern only
– O.L.D. – 110 mm (HB-M8110-BS)
O.L.D. – 148 mm (FH-M8110-BS)
Shimano’s new DEORE XT wheels deliver value and reliability for riding on all types of terrain. For lighter trail riding, the WH-M8100-TL aluminum wheels feature straight pull spokes and 24mm rims. The WH-M8120 pairs an extra wide-flange hub with an offset rim to create a zero-dish wheel. With wider rims and J-bend spokes, the result is a wheel with incredible handling that’s easy to service for aggressive trail riding. Both wheelsets are available in 27-inch and 29-inch wheel sizes.
WH-M8100-TL – Lightweight tubeless wheels
– 28 straight pull spokes
– Inner rim with 24mm for use with tires up to 2.35-inches
– 27.5 and 29-inch diameter options
– E-THRU – 110 mm and 148 mm O.L.D. WH-M8120-TL – Wider and stiffer wheels
– Zero Dish
– 28 J-bend spokes
– 30mm inner rim width for tires up to 2.6-inches
– 27.5 and 29-inch diameter options
– E-THRU – 110 mm and 148 mm O.L.D.
SHIMANO DEORE XT M8100 features two rear derailleurs that enhance shifting performance for both single and double front chainring setups. The derailleurs feature larger 13-tooth pulleys and include Shimano’s proven Shadow RD+ low profile technology.
RD-M8100-SGS Rear Derailleur for 1x Setup
– For single front chainring setup
– 51T max cog size
– Works with both 10-51 and 10-45-tooth cassettes RD-M8120-SGS Rear Derailleur for 2x Setup
– Designed for double front chainring setup
– 45T max cog size
– Compatible with 2×12 speed or 1×12 with 10-45 cassette
Continuing SHIMANO’s leadership in front derailleur technology and performance,
DEORE XT M8100 delivers the new FD-M8100-D/E/M side swing front derailleur with
three mounting options.
FD-M8100-D/E/M Front Derailleur
– SIDE SWING front derailleur
– D, E, and M-type mounts
– 10T total capacity
– 48.8mm and 51.8mm chain lines
Shifters and Levers
With ergonomics focused on comfort and control, the new DEORE XT RAPIDFIRE PLUS shift levers offer light operation force and better rider feedback. Shimano’s I-Spec EV lever design features greater flexibility in mounting while maintaining a clean cockpit. For double chainring systems, the lever simplifies front shifting with a lightweight and compact design that shifts up and down with a single mono lever.
SL-M8100-IR and SL-M8100-R – Right Shift Levers
– MULTI RELEASE allows the release of two gears at a time
– 2-WAY RELEASE with instantaneous push and pull movements
– Textured rubber pad on lever for grip
– 14mm slide range and 20-degree rotation for I-SPEC
SL-M8100-IL and SL-M8100-L – Left Shift Levers
– Front double shifting with single lever design
– 2-WAY RELEASE with instantaneous push and pull
– Textured rubber pad on lever for grip
– Natural finger position and intuitive shifting operation
Employing SHIMANO’s legendary mountain bike braking technology, DEORE XT M8100 increases brake rigidity for greater bike control and optimizes braking performance for different riding styles. A common SERVO-WAVE brake lever is paired with either a 2 or 4-piston caliper to deliver the right amount of power for a variety of terrain and riding styles.
Based on the SHIMANO XTR M9100 brake lever design, the new DEORE XT BL-M8100 brake levers feature a more inboard clamp position that creates an extra point of contact
between the bar and the lever. This added bracing drastically increases efficiency and control over the bike while offering quick brake engagement. The new design minimizes
impact on cockpit real estate, creating space between the clamp and support point for mounting other handlebar accessories.
BL-M8100 Brake Lever
– One XT brake lever for both 2-piston and 4-piston brake calipers
– Quick brake engagement with shorter free stroke
– Optimized lever axle position
– Refined ergonomics featuring a taller and flatter
lever blade face
BR-M8100 – 2-piston brake caliper
– Inboard banjo housing routing for clean setup
RT-MT800 – ICE-TECHNOLOGIES FREEZA Rotors
– Boosts heat dissipation bringing FREEZA technology to the XT group for the first time
– Reduces fade
– 140mm, 160mm, 180mm, and 203mm
PD-M8100 – The new M8100 pedals are more cross-country oriented, offering great rider stability with wider edge-to-edge contact areas while improving mud shedding through rounded contact points and off-set bindings.
– Wider edge-to-edge platform
– Step in and out consistency
– Offset binding for improved mud shedding
PD-M8120 – A wider contact area on the all new M8120 trail pedals improves stability while the expanded rearward shoe-pedal contact area. The Rider Tuned 1mm cleat spacer creates a better interface with shoes of varying outsole design and lug height.
– Wider contact area than PD-M8020
– Expanded rearward shoe-pedal contact area
– 1mm cleat spacer included
– DEORE XT PD-M8040 continue to deliver flat pedal performance for trail riders now at a lower price. Offered in two sizes—small-medium (shoe size recommendation 36-44) or medium-large (shoe size recommendation 43-48)— the pedals deliver optimal support and rider-tuned performance. With 10 pins on either side and a slight concave design for comfort and efficiency, these Trail and Enduro pedals
offer the legendary off-road performance associated with DEORE XT.
– Two sizes for different foot sizes
– Sold with optional 3.5mm pins or 5mm pins to tune the pin length to riding style
– Reduced price: msrp $85.00
Pricing and availability
SHIMANO DEORE XT M8100 series components are available beginning June 14th, 2019.