Stop #2 in the Eastern States Cup was held this past weekend at Plattekill Mountain in New York. Check inside for a race report from the event.
In previous year’s this race was on the Pro GRT calendar but this year decisions were made and it wasn’t added for a variety of reasons. Racers came from far and wide to race here. Many attendees camped in RV’s, tents, or in their vehicles and enjoyed themselves throughout the race weekend.
The courses Plattekill chooses for races are well received from racers and this course was no different. Racers who have raced previous Pro GRT events here will be familiar with the general layout of the track.
The weather couldn’t have been better for a race weekend on the East Coast. The course was dry and fast. A little bit of rain wouldn’t have hurt on the course but the course held up well throughout the weekend.
The racers at Plattekill are getting younger and younger. riders in the 0-14 year old class were hitting a lot of the big features on the course like the gap below. With plenty of go-arounds on the course, this gives riders the ability to challenge themselves while keeping all riders safe.
The Junior Expert podium was packed with some skilled riders. Watching them rip this course bodes well for the sport. The faster Junior times would’ve placed many of them just inside the top ten in Pro. David Kahn won the category for the JrX category.
Jr X results:
- David Kahn (2:34.34)
- Ben BODYCOAT 2:35.94 (2) 1.60s
- Andrew WEGIEL 2:38.16 (3) 3.82s
- Jake KAHN 2:38.69 (4) 4.35s
- Collin MCBRIDE 2:50.84 (5)
In the Pro Women class, Canadian racer, Kristen Courtney won it for the pro women with a 3:03.02.
Pro Women Results:
- Kristen COURTNEY 1981110 Adrenalineracer / Giant / Liv 3:03.02 (1) –
- Mary ELGES 77042 SPEED LEGION 3:03.34 (2) 0.32s
- Amy TEMARANTZ 429392 Valley Cycles Powered By Sick 3:12.67 (3) 9.65s
- Lauren PETERSEN 119186 Paradise Racing 3:19.78 (4) 16.76s
- Jessica GILBERT 434631 High Gear Racing / Ogio Bags 3:39.24 (5) 36.22s
The Pro Men field saw a healty turnout of riders looking to get to the top of the podium. Newcomer to Plattekill, Dakotah Norton went on to take the win in the Pro Men category with a blistering time of 2:24.46. What’s even more impressive is this is his first year as a pro DH racer and his first time at Plattekill. He’ll be one to keep an eye one at future races.
Sprinkled in the steep course riders were challenged with high speeds, loose aggregate, roots, huge rocks, and big drops like the Maxxis drop below that Scheiding hits in stride.
Pro rider, Shane Leslie, also managed to secure 5th place with a broken derailleur and chain shortly out of the gate. You can see it dangling in the picture below.
Pro Men Results:
- Dakotah NORTON 414075 Jlm Racing 2:24.46 (1) –
- Mauricio ESTRADA PULGARIN 1983011 Madkats Racing 2:25.25 (2) 0.79s
- Max MORGAN 320502 Billy Goat Bikes / Mountain Kh 2:26.50 (3) 2.04s
- Chris HIGGERSON 208966 Modo Wheels / SCB / Smith 2:27.67 (4) 3.21s
- Shane LESLIE 317122 Intense 2:28.01 (5) 3.55s
- Brian SCOLFORO 382118 Factory Off Road / Giant 2:28.49 (6) 4.03s
- Jason MEMMELAAR 161139 FiveTen / Smith / Yeti 2:29.15 (7) 4.69s
- Leland O’CONNOR 224089 E-13 / Fast Line Racing 2:30.64 (8) 6.18s
- George RYAN 136378 Evil Bikes / MCBP / Shimano 2:31.26 (9) 6.80s
- Brad ZDRILUK 1992111 Adrenalineracer / ToWheels 2:31.44 (10) 6.98s
Full results can be viewed here. Be sure to check out more photos in the gallery at the bottom. Plattekill has plenty of more racing in store for racers this summer in case you missed out. Be sure to add their races to your calendar if you haven’t already!
The next stop for the Eastern States Cup is at Mountain Creek (Vernon, NJ) for the Spring Classic Pro GRT.
Follow the Eastern States Cup at http://www.easternstatescup.com